Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Princess Bride


Westley: Hear this now: I will always come for you.
Buttercup: But how can you be sure?
Westley: This is true love - you think this happens every day?


One of my favorite all-time movies is "The Princess Bride."  I love everything about this story -- the romance, the action scenes, the fairy tale, the fashion, the historical period, revenge, the monsters, the comedic aspect (Billy Crystal!), everything.  And of course, the famous wedding scene. 

Which brings me to today's post.  Marriage isn't easy.  There are a lot of bumps in the road.  Some are minor, others are major and can tear a couple apart.  It's not all sunshine and roses.  Coach and I have been married for 20 years and dated for 10 before we got married (we met at 15).  Like any other couple, we've had our ups and downs.  We've been through alot.  He does things that absolutely drive me crazy and I'm sure he'll say the same about me.  We're not perfect and we don't pretend to be. 

As part of our marriage prep class all those years ago, we met with more "experienced," older couples with a couple of years of marriage under their belts.  One of them said, "Contrary to what you've been told, marriage is NOT 50/50.  Some days it's 40/60, some days it's 30/70."  That has always stuck with me.  And it couldn't be more true.  When I'm going through a rough time, Coach picks up the pieces.  When he's struggling, I give him one of my famous pep talks. 


I think that is one of my most favorite things about my marriage -- how well we complement each other.  We keep each other in check.  We have the same warped sense of humor.  We're Yin and Yang:  I hate to cook, he has no problem helping out in the kitchen (and is such a better cook than me!).  If things are crazy, he has no problem doing a load of laundry or running the vacuum (and the best part is I don't even have to ask.  He just does it).  He's always been a big help with the girls and is a wonderful father.  He loves being involved with the girls and drops everything where they are concerned.  And he takes incredible care of me -- emotionally and physically.  He knows when I need a ginger ale.  He knows when I need to be left alone.  And more importantly, he knows when I shouldn't be left alone.   

I know some of these things may seem minor and you may be saying to yourself "well, isn't he SUPPOSED to be doing those things?  Isn't that what a marriage is about?"  Well, yes it is what a marriage/partnership/relationship is about.  And I am very fortunate and blessed to have met a man who speaks my love language and lifts me up.  A strong man who hasn't let me down and put others before himself.  A man who takes care of his family with love.  Again, I know some of these things may seem so little but it truly is the little things that matter.  And I'm not sitting here acting all high and might saying my marriage is perfect, my husband is amazing, etc.  What I am saying is that it's perfect for me and that's all that really matters. 

Westley: I told you I would always come for you. Why didn't you wait for me?
Buttercup: Well... you were dead.
Westley: Death cannot stop true love. All it can do is delay it for a while.
Buttercup: I will never doubt again.
Westley: There will never be a need.

No comments:

Total Pageviews

My Blog List

Some of My Favorite Quotes

"You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams." -- Dr. Seuss

"Nothing makes a woman more beautiful than the belief that she is beautiful." -- Sophia Loren



"There must be quite a few things a hot bath won't cure, but I don't know many of them." -- Sylvia Plath

“Life is too important to be taken seriously.” – Oscar Wilde

If people are truly, madly, deeply in love with each other, they will find a way.~Gilda Radner

“Never judge a day by its weather. Sunshine is uplifting; rain, nourishing; wind, exhilarating; snow, cleansing; hail, stimulating. Any weather is better than none.” -- Author Unknown

"Everything you see I owe to spaghetti." -- Sophia Loren

"I know I'm vulgar, but would you have me any other way?" -- Elizabeth Taylor

"After thirty, a body has a mind of its own." -- Bette Midler

"Cherish forever what makes you unique, 'cuz you're really a yawn if it goes." -- Bette Midler

“I know I can be diva-ish sometimes, but I have to be in control. The nature of my life, the nature of what I do, is divadom, it really is." -- Mariah Carey

"I want minimum information given with maximum politeness." -- Jackie Kennedy Onassis

"I've been called a diva, queen diva, diva supreme, and I love it. However, that's really for others to decide, not me." -- Aretha Franklin

"No one loves a party more than I. I am a people person." -- Aretha Franklin

"There are many little ways to enlarge your child's world. Love of books is the best of all." -- Jackie Kennedy Onassis
Blogging Resources for Women
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2011 • All Rights Reserved