Wednesday, April 6, 2011

So you HAVE been listening all these years!!!

Funny thing happened last night. We like the show "Who Do You Think You Are" (you may remember my post about my weird quasi-connection with Susan Sarandon). Last night KJ & I decided to catch up on a couple of episodes while Cosmo was at practice and T was out with friends. It was the Rosie O'Donnell episode.

Now, I'm not really a Rosie fan but knew that she had purchased a home in Nyack, NY years ag0 (located in Rockland County New York where Cosmo & I grew up). Nyack is a beautiful, artsy community located on the Hudson River and is home to many celebrities due to it's promiximity to the city and the theater. Bill Murray is a long-time Nyack resident and Stephen Baldwin had a home there before he ran into money problems (see the Baldwin home below).

Many celebrities and atheletes lived in Rockland or rented a home while they appeared on Broadway or were in season. Mick Jagger and Jerry Hall rented a home in New City for a while, I used to work at the Nanuet Mall in high school and Jon Voight used to come in often with his ex-wife and their children (Angelina Jolie and yes, I've met her; she was probably around 10 or 11 at the time), a lot of the Soprano's cast (Lorraine Bracco the phyciatrist for one), Jack Klugman, Burgess Meredith, Al Pacino, Hayden Panettiere was born there and many, many more.
The home Rosie originally purchased was Helen Hayes' home "Pretty Penny" (Helen Hayes is regarded by many as the First Lady of the American Theater). See Photo Below:
Growing up, Nyack was our biggest football rivalry. The were the Indians and we were the Red Raiders. It was such a big rivalry, there was even some type of Little Brown Jug trophy that probably dated back to the '20's and Prohibition or something like that. I don't remember. Anyway, Cosmo was a football player and I was a cheerleader. One of my favorite cheers was "Send Nyack back to the Indians, tie them to their tee-pees." In hindsight, that probably wasn't the most politically correct cheer but hey! It was the 80's and our brains were fried from waaaaay too much Aqua Net. Naturally, over the course of kid's lives, we've bored them with stupid stories from our childhoods and just never really knew if they were paying any attention. Well, last night while we were watching the show, they mentioned that Rosie O lived in Nyack, NY. KJ jumped up out of her seat and said, "NYACK??? As in "send Nyack back to the Indians, tie them to their tee-pees Nyack???" and proceeded to do the cheer perfectly. I was shocked and so excited! I finally had confirmation that at least one of my children listened to me! To my surprise, T had the same reaction KJ did when we showed her the opening credits of the show (only problem was, she got the cheer all wrong. She said something about tying up the Indians and throwing them in the Hudson).

No comments:

Total Pageviews

My Blog List

Some of My Favorite Quotes

"You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams." -- Dr. Seuss

"Nothing makes a woman more beautiful than the belief that she is beautiful." -- Sophia Loren



"There must be quite a few things a hot bath won't cure, but I don't know many of them." -- Sylvia Plath

“Life is too important to be taken seriously.” – Oscar Wilde

If people are truly, madly, deeply in love with each other, they will find a way.~Gilda Radner

“Never judge a day by its weather. Sunshine is uplifting; rain, nourishing; wind, exhilarating; snow, cleansing; hail, stimulating. Any weather is better than none.” -- Author Unknown

"Everything you see I owe to spaghetti." -- Sophia Loren

"I know I'm vulgar, but would you have me any other way?" -- Elizabeth Taylor

"After thirty, a body has a mind of its own." -- Bette Midler

"Cherish forever what makes you unique, 'cuz you're really a yawn if it goes." -- Bette Midler

“I know I can be diva-ish sometimes, but I have to be in control. The nature of my life, the nature of what I do, is divadom, it really is." -- Mariah Carey

"I want minimum information given with maximum politeness." -- Jackie Kennedy Onassis

"I've been called a diva, queen diva, diva supreme, and I love it. However, that's really for others to decide, not me." -- Aretha Franklin

"No one loves a party more than I. I am a people person." -- Aretha Franklin

"There are many little ways to enlarge your child's world. Love of books is the best of all." -- Jackie Kennedy Onassis
Blogging Resources for Women
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2011 • All Rights Reserved