Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Heavy Heart

I haven't been to Boston in years and years but growing up in the Northeast and having a hubby who went to college in Vermont and being part of the lacrosse community, we have a lot of friends from the city of Boston and from the state of Massachusetts.  And my heart is so heavy and hurts for them.  And for our country. 

I've seen many, many blog posts/ Facebook status / Tweets regarding the horrifying events at the Boston marathon.  Some are angry, some are fearful, some are encouraging for the citizens of Massachusetts and some hopeful about the future of humanity and proud of the first responders and the many many heroes from Monday.  And some are surprisingly ambivalent. 

To me, Monday's events are eerily reminiscent of 9/11 and bring out horrible feelings of helplessness.  It's so hard in this day and age to continue to be compassionate when we are constantly bombarded with disturbing images, but as with the coverage of Sandy Hook, 9/11 and now Boston, I have a hard time watching the news yet oddly feel compelled to watch.  Pardon the horrible pun, but it's like a train wreck or a car accident.  You can't not watch.  And your heart goes out to the victims, especially the littlest, innocent ones and their families.  I think I watch to show that I care and to pay my respects. 


But as with 9/11 I am buoyed by stories of heroism and the kindness of strangers and that restores my faith in humanity.  The worst of times usually bring out the best in people.  Bostonians are tough and stoic and resiliant and will get through this and emerge stronger. 
http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/16/us/boston-heroes/?hpt=hp_t2

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you for posting this. <3
It's been a tough week here to say the least. I don't know when things will be back to normal, if ever. I think we're just going to have to adjust to a new "normal".

I can't sleep anymore. I can't think straight anymore. I'm constantly scared to go to any of my normal places/hangouts and I don't want to be.

I can't wait until I can get over what happened here. :-\

Total Pageviews

My Blog List

Some of My Favorite Quotes

"You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams." -- Dr. Seuss

"Nothing makes a woman more beautiful than the belief that she is beautiful." -- Sophia Loren



"There must be quite a few things a hot bath won't cure, but I don't know many of them." -- Sylvia Plath

“Life is too important to be taken seriously.” – Oscar Wilde

If people are truly, madly, deeply in love with each other, they will find a way.~Gilda Radner

“Never judge a day by its weather. Sunshine is uplifting; rain, nourishing; wind, exhilarating; snow, cleansing; hail, stimulating. Any weather is better than none.” -- Author Unknown

"Everything you see I owe to spaghetti." -- Sophia Loren

"I know I'm vulgar, but would you have me any other way?" -- Elizabeth Taylor

"After thirty, a body has a mind of its own." -- Bette Midler

"Cherish forever what makes you unique, 'cuz you're really a yawn if it goes." -- Bette Midler

“I know I can be diva-ish sometimes, but I have to be in control. The nature of my life, the nature of what I do, is divadom, it really is." -- Mariah Carey

"I want minimum information given with maximum politeness." -- Jackie Kennedy Onassis

"I've been called a diva, queen diva, diva supreme, and I love it. However, that's really for others to decide, not me." -- Aretha Franklin

"No one loves a party more than I. I am a people person." -- Aretha Franklin

"There are many little ways to enlarge your child's world. Love of books is the best of all." -- Jackie Kennedy Onassis
Blogging Resources for Women
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2011 • All Rights Reserved