Monday, February 22, 2010

Playing Catch-Up (updated)

Whew! Got a lot of laundry to do today! Thank god Chris let the boys take home their jerseys last night or else I'd be stuck washing over 40 smelly and wet lacrosse jerseys on top of my regular wash.

Had a great, great weekend despite the crappy weather in Shreveport, LA for the lax game(s). We left Saturday AM from the high school parking lot and got to Shreveport around 5 PM. The bus ride there was relatively quiet. We stopped for lunch and since the game didn't start until 8 PM we had dinner at the hotel before heading out to the stadium. It was kind of chilly but not unbearable. It kind of felt like football weather actually. Despite losing 10 to 6 to South Lake Carroll, TX the boys played pretty good and Chris was pleased. When we got back to the hotel we had a bunch of pizzas in the lobby for the boys to take back to their rooms.

Sunday's game didn't start until noon so after breakfast we headed over the field. I sat in the bleachers and called my folks and my brother while the rest of the parents and my 2 girls went on a Starbucks run. It started raining and the wind was terrible. T-bone sat under the tent during the game and helped one of the dad's keep stats and helped with the penalty clock. KJ & I joined a bunch of other parents up in the press box to get out of the rain. Sunday's game got a little ugly and there were a lot more penalties. And, on top of everything else, my hubby almost got thrown out of the game. He got a flag thrown at him because he got a little vocal with one of the refs. Ok, it was more than a "little" vocal. Cosmo is funny like that. He'll be the first one to get on the boys and yell at them for doing something wrong but God help you if a ref makes a bad call or worse, no call at all (which is exactly what happened....a couple of Shreveport players were basically ganging up on one of our senior players and for a minute there it looked like there was going to be a fight on the field. Cosmo yanked the player off the field and called him out. When that player served his penalty and got back on the field, the Shreveport players really went after him in retaliation. Cosmo blasted the ref for turning a blind eye and the girls & I thought for sure he was going to get thrown out of the game for the first time ever in his coaching career.). So, in a nutshell, the boys played well on Saturday but lost, didn't play as well on Sunday and won. Go figure.

On Friday, my mom & dad's oldest and dearest friends, Frank & Ellie came for a visit. They left their house the end of January and visited family & friends all over Florida and swung by here on their way back north. They spent the night and on Saturday they were headed to Chattanooga and then on to friends in Northport, TN. We had such a good time! I think, other than family, Frank & Ellie have known me longer than anyone else. We lived 2 doors down from them in our first house in NY. We moved into that house when I was 4, just a few weeks before my 5th birthday and moved to our house in Stony Point when I was in 7th grade. My mom always tells the story about how she didn't know anyone in the neighborhood and Ellie knocked on her door one day and said, "Would you like to go shopping?" They've basically watched me grow up and our families have always been a part of each other's lives....communions, christenings, graduations, weddings, baby showers, grandchildren, etc. Frank & Ellie's son Chris is 2 years older than me and their daughter Trasy is 2 years younger than me. They also have a daughter, Alicia who is 13 years younger than me so I don't really know her that well. We reminisced and had a lot of laughs. I think the girls enjoyed listening to old stories, too. We went on a lot of family vacations together, our parents bowled together for years, went to the swim club together every day (we'd all pile into some one's station wagon with the wood panel sides, no seat belts, with the back window down sucking up exhaust fumes). Lots of block parties, lots of flashlight tag in the summer, lots of sleep-overs, snowball fights in the winter and intense kickball games. Mom & Dad, Frank & Ellie, Margaret & Ed, Phylliss & Billy, Richard & Anna all still get togheter fairly regularly. They sometimes meet in Mrytle Beach for a week or sometimes everyone meets up at my mom & dad's place in PA for a long weekend.

When we got home late last night I checked messages and we found out that Cosmo's aunt Gertrude passed away. She was 87 years old and an absolute pistol. Really a lot of fun, very out-going, energetic. She loved to sing and dance and I vividly remember her doing the electric slide at our wedding all those years ago. I only met her a couple of times but she was a very sweet, sweet lady. One of her daughter's, Alice, is Cosmo's godmother. Aunt Gertrude was married to my mother-in-law's brother John and was from Staten Island.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS0R5IU2im8

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like fun!

Bumpkin on a Swing said...

Love the quotes, I share my favorites over at the swing!

www.bumpkinonaswing.blogspot.com

Total Pageviews

My Blog List

Some of My Favorite Quotes

"You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams." -- Dr. Seuss

"Nothing makes a woman more beautiful than the belief that she is beautiful." -- Sophia Loren



"There must be quite a few things a hot bath won't cure, but I don't know many of them." -- Sylvia Plath

“Life is too important to be taken seriously.” – Oscar Wilde

If people are truly, madly, deeply in love with each other, they will find a way.~Gilda Radner

“Never judge a day by its weather. Sunshine is uplifting; rain, nourishing; wind, exhilarating; snow, cleansing; hail, stimulating. Any weather is better than none.” -- Author Unknown

"Everything you see I owe to spaghetti." -- Sophia Loren

"I know I'm vulgar, but would you have me any other way?" -- Elizabeth Taylor

"After thirty, a body has a mind of its own." -- Bette Midler

"Cherish forever what makes you unique, 'cuz you're really a yawn if it goes." -- Bette Midler

“I know I can be diva-ish sometimes, but I have to be in control. The nature of my life, the nature of what I do, is divadom, it really is." -- Mariah Carey

"I want minimum information given with maximum politeness." -- Jackie Kennedy Onassis

"I've been called a diva, queen diva, diva supreme, and I love it. However, that's really for others to decide, not me." -- Aretha Franklin

"No one loves a party more than I. I am a people person." -- Aretha Franklin

"There are many little ways to enlarge your child's world. Love of books is the best of all." -- Jackie Kennedy Onassis
Blogging Resources for Women
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2011 • All Rights Reserved