Friday, August 9, 2019

Pits of Dispair

This week, two of the most beautiful women in the world released campaigns promoting empowerment and positivity. 

Kate Upton's #ShareStrong encourages people to post photos and videos “talking about who or what inspires us to be our best selves.”  She added, "It’s to spread positivity and inspiration by creating a community that talks about encouraging, empowering stories and self-motivation."

Upton's celeb friends, Jessica Biel, Lily Aldridge, Behati Prinsloo, all showed their support on social media with make-up free selfies and whatnot but my favorite post was Whitney Cumming's: 

“My #ShareStrong is for all the young women that follow me on social media,” she said on her Instagram Story. “I want them to know that it’s okay to make mistakes, it’s okay to ask for help and it’s okay to not take yourself seriously all the time.”


 “And it’s also okay to stutter,” Cummings, 36, added, as she jokingly struggled to say “#ShareStrong.” 

Read more about #ShareStrong here:  https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/kate-upton-share-strong-campaign-twitter-instagram-jessica-biel-a9047906.html
Emily Ratajkowski also shared her views on sexuality, femininity and arm pit hair in Harpers Bazaar.  And I get it. I really do.  However, I have a slightly different take.  https://www.harpersbazaar.com/culture/features/a28577727/emily-ratajkowski-sexuality-essay/

First, I'd like to address the shaving issues.  I'm thinking, "my pits, my choice" on this one.  I could care less if Emily, Madonna, Gigi, Miley, Julia or Sophia have arm pit hair.  It's a personal choice.  Same goes for leg hair.  I, for one, wear a lot of dresses.  I like the feel and the look of smooth legs.  I also like to wear short pj's to bed and like the way my bare legs feel against cool, clean sheets or when they rub up against each other in my sleep.  I also have very dry skin and moisturize like a crazy person.  My legs itch way more when I don't shave my legs.  During the work week I shave regularly.  On the weekends, not as much. 



 


Which brings me to the crux of some of these empowering posts and articles.  Who cares?  Seriously.  I don't understand the reasoning behind having to point out and draw attention to everything. 

I am not nor have I ever been a rule follower.  If I wanted to wear a bikini to the beach at 52 years old with two C-section scars, gall bladder surgery scars, breast biopsy scars and stretch marks, I would.  I'm just not really into showing that much skin.  Even as a 100 lbs. 20 year old I rarely wore a bikini.  I think I've had two or three bikinis in my lifetime.  In any event, I would not feel the need to preface my bathing suit du jour with a social media post about empowering women and how I want my daughter's to have positive body images, etc.  My daughter's do have positive body images because we concentrate on other things.  I've made it a point of NEVER, EVER dissing my body in front of my girls when they were growing up.  My girls have NEVER heard me say, "OMG!  I look so fat in this outfit!" or "how many calories are in this?" or "sorry!  I'm not doing carbs!"  My girls have played sports, participated in pageants and done their own thing.  They know their worth is not defined by anyone else. 

I don't care if you don't wear make-up.  I can go days at a time without make-up and you know what?  I don't post about it.  I don't post selfies.  I don't point out my flaws.  I have them and so does every one I know.  My flaws are visible (mostly).  No one cares.  No one.  I take care of my skin, I take vitamins and I wear sunscreen when I remember.  I love having my face open and free of make-up.  It feels so good to have clean pores. 

Just the other day we were looking at old photos and came across a photo of me and KJ from pre-school.  She was about 4 years old in the photo and I still had very visible signs of melasma (pregnancy mask) all over my cheeks and forehead.  I had it really, really bad with both girls.  KJ is about to turn 20 and honestly, I had totally forgotten about my pregnancy mask.  It didn't define me.  You still gotta do you. 

Christmas 2009
(10 years after KJ was born and you can still see the dark patches on my forehead)

Not sure when this was taken (2006 or 2007?  Maybe 2008?)
Lots of dark spots. 

San Diego 2006
(one of my fave pics of me and Coach)

My whole take-away from these types of "feel good" published pieces is:  Instead of writing about it, just do it!  Wear what you want.  Wear what makes you feel good.  Wear make-up.  Or don't.  Shave your pits.  Or not.  Live your life. 

No comments:

Total Pageviews

My Blog List

Some of My Favorite Quotes

"You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams." -- Dr. Seuss

"Nothing makes a woman more beautiful than the belief that she is beautiful." -- Sophia Loren



"There must be quite a few things a hot bath won't cure, but I don't know many of them." -- Sylvia Plath

“Life is too important to be taken seriously.” – Oscar Wilde

If people are truly, madly, deeply in love with each other, they will find a way.~Gilda Radner

“Never judge a day by its weather. Sunshine is uplifting; rain, nourishing; wind, exhilarating; snow, cleansing; hail, stimulating. Any weather is better than none.” -- Author Unknown

"Everything you see I owe to spaghetti." -- Sophia Loren

"I know I'm vulgar, but would you have me any other way?" -- Elizabeth Taylor

"After thirty, a body has a mind of its own." -- Bette Midler

"Cherish forever what makes you unique, 'cuz you're really a yawn if it goes." -- Bette Midler

“I know I can be diva-ish sometimes, but I have to be in control. The nature of my life, the nature of what I do, is divadom, it really is." -- Mariah Carey

"I want minimum information given with maximum politeness." -- Jackie Kennedy Onassis

"I've been called a diva, queen diva, diva supreme, and I love it. However, that's really for others to decide, not me." -- Aretha Franklin

"No one loves a party more than I. I am a people person." -- Aretha Franklin

"There are many little ways to enlarge your child's world. Love of books is the best of all." -- Jackie Kennedy Onassis
Blogging Resources for Women
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2011 • All Rights Reserved