Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Smokey. As in....

.....the Smoke Monster from Lost, Smokey Eyes (more on this later!) and Smokey the Bear (also a nickname for my uncle).

So Lost is on tonight (can I get a Whoop! Whoop!). I think there's only one or two episodes left. Finally! All my questions will be answered! (I seriously doubt it but it's nice to dream!!).
<>
My mom had three brothers: John, Charles and Michael (she was the 2nd child, the only girl). My two oldest uncles had nicknames, Michael, for some reason, did not. My Uncle John came out of the Navy w/ the nickname Zip. EVERYONE called him Zip. It just stuck. He passed away when T was a little girl and we were living in Cincinnati, he was my Godfather. So, I had to have been in my early 30's when he died but don't think I ever, not even once, called him Uncle John. The second brother, was nicknamed Smokey when he was a little boy. He was a little chubby in the face and had a buzz cut. His grandfather, my great grandfather, was a forest ranger (I may have this part of the story wrong; my great grandfather was also in WWI and had one of those weird hats) and Charles used to plunk that hat on his head and everyone said he looked like Smokey the bear. It stuck. He's in his late 5o's/early 60's and he's still referred to as Smokey.



T & I are totally obsessed w/ learning how to make a "smokey" eye; I think we just need to break down and sit at the MAC counter and ask for help! Last night I bought CoverGirl's new smokey eye pencil (or something like that). The directions on the packaging are so freaking small I need a magnifying lens. Professional grade.
So, as you can see these three things are totally random and have absolutely nothing to do with each other. Reminds me of that song from Sesame Street when the girls were little...One of these things is not like the others, one of these things doesn't belong. Randomness will only prove my point later in this blog. And now, on to the randomness!

Everyone has something they like to do and something they get a great deal of enjoyment from. Some people like to garden, some like to do crafts. I suck at both of those things. Some like to go for a run or a hike or engage in some other type of physical activity. Some folks collect stamps or other paraphernalia. I like to read. A lot. I like to travel. A lot. I like to read about travelling and I read when I travel. I enjoy decorating. More specifically, I enjoy decorating my dining room table. I luv, luv, luv to set the table based on the seasons and holidays. I love to layer patterns, fabric and textures and create a warm, inviting table.

I also like to blog. My blog is about whatever pops into my head. Some days it's politics, some days it's fashion and make-up. Some days it's lacrosse. Actually, there are a lot of days I blog about lacrosse (pretty much from January through June/July). Some days I blog about my kids. Some days I blog about my hubby. Some days I blog about both. Some days I blog about my kids, my hubby AND lacrosse all in the same post! Crazy, I know! Some days I blog about my hair or a particularly good mani/pedi. Whatever. If you don't like what I blog about, please do us both a favor and stop reading. Stop reading immediately. You obviously can't handle what I blog. Please stop misinterpreting everything I type and please stop leaving snarky, vague, oblique references on other social networks. I am a 40-something, free, white American citizen. I pay my taxes. I volunteer my time and give back to my community on a regular basis. I help my friends and family when in need. I am entitled to my opinion. You are also entitled to your own opinion. Here's a thought, why don't you start your own blog and post something? Why don't you own up and put yourself out there once in a while? I think you are the meek, ignorant type that would rather complain than actually speak up. That passive/agressive type that would rather call/text all her girlfriends and say, "Can you believe she/did said that???" If my blog offends you so much, why don't you leave me a comment once in a while? Why don't you call me on the phone (you have the number) and discuss? I'm open-minded about these things. Since you are obtuse and slightly ignorant, I will break it down into simpler terms for you.....while I don't necessarily agree with everything Howard Stern, Rush Limbaugh or Anne Coulter say or do, they are entitled to freedom of speech. I am entitled to freedom of choice. I choose to change the channel or choose not to follow their blogs. Get it now???

No comments:

Total Pageviews

My Blog List

Some of My Favorite Quotes

"You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams." -- Dr. Seuss

"Nothing makes a woman more beautiful than the belief that she is beautiful." -- Sophia Loren



"There must be quite a few things a hot bath won't cure, but I don't know many of them." -- Sylvia Plath

“Life is too important to be taken seriously.” – Oscar Wilde

If people are truly, madly, deeply in love with each other, they will find a way.~Gilda Radner

“Never judge a day by its weather. Sunshine is uplifting; rain, nourishing; wind, exhilarating; snow, cleansing; hail, stimulating. Any weather is better than none.” -- Author Unknown

"Everything you see I owe to spaghetti." -- Sophia Loren

"I know I'm vulgar, but would you have me any other way?" -- Elizabeth Taylor

"After thirty, a body has a mind of its own." -- Bette Midler

"Cherish forever what makes you unique, 'cuz you're really a yawn if it goes." -- Bette Midler

“I know I can be diva-ish sometimes, but I have to be in control. The nature of my life, the nature of what I do, is divadom, it really is." -- Mariah Carey

"I want minimum information given with maximum politeness." -- Jackie Kennedy Onassis

"I've been called a diva, queen diva, diva supreme, and I love it. However, that's really for others to decide, not me." -- Aretha Franklin

"No one loves a party more than I. I am a people person." -- Aretha Franklin

"There are many little ways to enlarge your child's world. Love of books is the best of all." -- Jackie Kennedy Onassis
Blogging Resources for Women
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2011 • All Rights Reserved