Sunday, October 28, 2012

The Knock

My great aunt, my Cioci Wanda, lived in Hawaii for decades, wore a mu-mu and was eccentric as hell.  And I adored her.  She was full of old wives tales (one time I had poison ivy on my legs and she told me to pee on myself in the shower to clear it up quickly).  Anytime she learned of some one's passing she would say, "I knew it!  I heard the knock of death."  Apparently, the "Knock of Death" is when you hear someone (something??) knocking on your door 3 times in the middle of the night.

Fast forward to last Thursday night.  I wasn't sleeping well and SWORE that I heard someone knocking on our door at 4:15 AM.   Yup.  They knocked three times.  No more.  No less.  I didn't get up and answer the door because #1, I really didn't want to find out who the hell was knocking on my door at 4:15 in the morning and #2, if they really wanted to get my attention, they would have knocked more than three times and maybe knocked a little harder. 

So, on my way to work, convinced that I've heard the "knock," I called my parents to see if everyone was OK.  I found out my SIL and the kids had been in a very, very bad car accident on Thursday afternoon and were trapped in the truck until the fire department could bust through the windshield to get them all out.  Miraculously, everyone is fine and walked away w/out a scratch.  The truck was t-boned and spun around and rolled.  Somehow, Little Miss C came out of her booster seat and was hanging from the seat belt.  Mr. B was a hero and quickly unbuckled himself and held his little sister's feet in the air until my SIL could get to them in the backseat.  When I spoke to my bro, I told him the knock must not have been for them.  Yeah.  We share a warped sense of humor. 

2 comments:

preppyplayer said...

Strong intuition, or a good sense of hearing?
I vote both :)

Unknown said...

I'm you newest follower from the blog hop, I would love for you to come by and follow back and join my blog hop :)
Erica
http://www.ericastartwalking.com/2012/11/im-blogger-girl-in-blogger-world-blog.html

Total Pageviews

My Blog List

Some of My Favorite Quotes

"You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams." -- Dr. Seuss

"Nothing makes a woman more beautiful than the belief that she is beautiful." -- Sophia Loren



"There must be quite a few things a hot bath won't cure, but I don't know many of them." -- Sylvia Plath

“Life is too important to be taken seriously.” – Oscar Wilde

If people are truly, madly, deeply in love with each other, they will find a way.~Gilda Radner

“Never judge a day by its weather. Sunshine is uplifting; rain, nourishing; wind, exhilarating; snow, cleansing; hail, stimulating. Any weather is better than none.” -- Author Unknown

"Everything you see I owe to spaghetti." -- Sophia Loren

"I know I'm vulgar, but would you have me any other way?" -- Elizabeth Taylor

"After thirty, a body has a mind of its own." -- Bette Midler

"Cherish forever what makes you unique, 'cuz you're really a yawn if it goes." -- Bette Midler

“I know I can be diva-ish sometimes, but I have to be in control. The nature of my life, the nature of what I do, is divadom, it really is." -- Mariah Carey

"I want minimum information given with maximum politeness." -- Jackie Kennedy Onassis

"I've been called a diva, queen diva, diva supreme, and I love it. However, that's really for others to decide, not me." -- Aretha Franklin

"No one loves a party more than I. I am a people person." -- Aretha Franklin

"There are many little ways to enlarge your child's world. Love of books is the best of all." -- Jackie Kennedy Onassis
Blogging Resources for Women
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2011 • All Rights Reserved