Sunday, September 22, 2013

Cupcakes, Anyone?

Yesterday we decided to take a little break from unpacking and headed downtown for the H Street Festival. 

The last time we lived here we always lucked out on the weekends and always found a parking spot around the reflecting pool near the Capital Building.  During the week you probably needed a parking pass to park there but on the weekends no one checked.  This, of course, was pre 9/11 and you could park wherever you wanted.  From there we would work our way down the mall and always approached the White House from Constitution Ave.  This time, we parked at a garage at I Street and 16th Ave (not far from the Hay Adams) and walked to the White House from Pennsylvania Ave.  Very different approach and we were surprised to see the front door of the White House wide open!  

We turned on 15th from Pennsylvania Ave and walked over to the Washington Monument.  I hate that it's covered in scaffolding but hopefully that will be correct any structural issues. 
 
From the monument we walked over to the 13th Annual Library of Congress National Book Festival which was on the Mall between 9th and 14th Streets.  There were tons and tons of food trucks and it was really neat to see Giada and Hoda and Tito Puento signing their books and interacting with readers.  http://www.loc.gov/bookfest/  We then made our way over to the Sculpture Gardens (I had never been before and would like to go back and spend a little more time at the Gardens and have lunch in the Café). 
 
It started to drizzle a little so we decided to ditch the H Street Festival and we got in the car and headed over to Nick's Riverside Café in Georgetown.  http://www.nicksriversidegrill.com/
We were hoping the rain would taper off by the time we got over there because I really wanted to dine outside by the water.  I absolutely, positively LOVE Georgetown and would give my right arm to live over there!  So quaint, so picturesque, so trendy and so walkable.  After dinner we thought we'd see how bad the line at Georgetown Cupcakes was and maybe grab some dessert.  http://www.georgetowncupcake.com/ The line wasn't too bad, maybe 10-15 people in front of us (KJ said when she was there in July the line was up the street and around the corner and a lady passed out from heat stroke and they had to call an ambulance).  We got our cupcakes and headed home but made a quick stop at the new Wegman's that just opened up near us.  The store is absolutely insane.  It's two stories and has a escalator and a cart-o-lator, too! 
 
 


No comments:

Total Pageviews

My Blog List

Some of My Favorite Quotes

"You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams." -- Dr. Seuss

"Nothing makes a woman more beautiful than the belief that she is beautiful." -- Sophia Loren



"There must be quite a few things a hot bath won't cure, but I don't know many of them." -- Sylvia Plath

“Life is too important to be taken seriously.” – Oscar Wilde

If people are truly, madly, deeply in love with each other, they will find a way.~Gilda Radner

“Never judge a day by its weather. Sunshine is uplifting; rain, nourishing; wind, exhilarating; snow, cleansing; hail, stimulating. Any weather is better than none.” -- Author Unknown

"Everything you see I owe to spaghetti." -- Sophia Loren

"I know I'm vulgar, but would you have me any other way?" -- Elizabeth Taylor

"After thirty, a body has a mind of its own." -- Bette Midler

"Cherish forever what makes you unique, 'cuz you're really a yawn if it goes." -- Bette Midler

“I know I can be diva-ish sometimes, but I have to be in control. The nature of my life, the nature of what I do, is divadom, it really is." -- Mariah Carey

"I want minimum information given with maximum politeness." -- Jackie Kennedy Onassis

"I've been called a diva, queen diva, diva supreme, and I love it. However, that's really for others to decide, not me." -- Aretha Franklin

"No one loves a party more than I. I am a people person." -- Aretha Franklin

"There are many little ways to enlarge your child's world. Love of books is the best of all." -- Jackie Kennedy Onassis
Blogging Resources for Women
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2011 • All Rights Reserved