Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Icons

My dear friend LCM (aka the Godmother), luvs, luvs, luvs Grace Kelly. I came across an article on the Grace Kelly exhibit at the Victoria & Albert in London and had to share with her. Holy cow. I had totally forgotten how beautiful and utterly classy and elegant Grace Kelly was. She had that inner beauty too that so few people truly posses.


I know Christie Brinkley has had a series of really bad marriages but I've always thought she was a true beauty, the total package. She's not afraid to put herself out there, love unconditionally (she loves her kids and has set a good example....you really never heard about her partying hard during her modeling years), she cares about the environment, she loves what she does (she has a passion for art and design and has turned it into an extremely lucrative career in the Hamptons). Yup, she's got it all.


Back in the 70's at the height of Charlie's Angels popularity, everyone was nuts about Farrah Fawcett. She wasn't my favorite. I always thought she was a bit too obvious and cheesecake. I always thought Jaclyn Smith was the beautiful, girl next door, the girl you'd want to be friends with. Such a natural beauty.

While talking about icons, how can I forget Jackie O?? Cool as a cucumber. The woman had style and grace and composure during one of this country's darkest hours. She was so incredibly smart -- she attended Vassar her first two years of college, spent her junior year in France at the University of Grenoble and the Sorbonne and went to George Washington University when she got back to the states and graduated w/ a degree in French lit. I also read somewhere that she enjoyed lacrosse when she was a child. She is credited with the White Houses restoration and had a successful career as an editor. She also raised two wonderful children (the most respectable of all the Kennedy kids).
I simply ADORE Sophia Loren and think she's a vivacious and ballsy (I hope to be that sassy when I'm her age!). I just wish she'd get rid of the granny glasses; they remind me of Estelle Getty's glasses on Golden Girls. One of her most frequently-quoted sayings is about her famously-voluptuous figure: "Everything you see, I owe to spaghetti." However she has denied ever saying it. I also love the fact that she met the love of her life, Carlo Ponti, when she was only a teenager (he, however, was in his 30's . . . a little creepy). They remained married until his death a couple of years ago. When asked if she would ever marry again, she said, "No, never again. It would be impossible to love anyone else." Now that's amore!

So, I started thinking about who my two girls would consider "icons"....Lady Gaga??? Britney Spears? Paris Hilton? God forbid a Kardashian?? Lindsey Lohan the Lunatic??

1 comment:

*Yankee Belle* said...

I shudder at the thought.

Total Pageviews

My Blog List

Some of My Favorite Quotes

"You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams." -- Dr. Seuss

"Nothing makes a woman more beautiful than the belief that she is beautiful." -- Sophia Loren



"There must be quite a few things a hot bath won't cure, but I don't know many of them." -- Sylvia Plath

“Life is too important to be taken seriously.” – Oscar Wilde

If people are truly, madly, deeply in love with each other, they will find a way.~Gilda Radner

“Never judge a day by its weather. Sunshine is uplifting; rain, nourishing; wind, exhilarating; snow, cleansing; hail, stimulating. Any weather is better than none.” -- Author Unknown

"Everything you see I owe to spaghetti." -- Sophia Loren

"I know I'm vulgar, but would you have me any other way?" -- Elizabeth Taylor

"After thirty, a body has a mind of its own." -- Bette Midler

"Cherish forever what makes you unique, 'cuz you're really a yawn if it goes." -- Bette Midler

“I know I can be diva-ish sometimes, but I have to be in control. The nature of my life, the nature of what I do, is divadom, it really is." -- Mariah Carey

"I want minimum information given with maximum politeness." -- Jackie Kennedy Onassis

"I've been called a diva, queen diva, diva supreme, and I love it. However, that's really for others to decide, not me." -- Aretha Franklin

"No one loves a party more than I. I am a people person." -- Aretha Franklin

"There are many little ways to enlarge your child's world. Love of books is the best of all." -- Jackie Kennedy Onassis
Blogging Resources for Women
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2011 • All Rights Reserved