Tuesday, September 11, 2012

I just can't

I think I am going to take a self-imposed break from all social media today (other than this blog post). 

I am not trying to be difficult, melodramatic, or deemed insensitive or disrespectful to survivors or the families of the fallen in any way, shape or form. 

Cosmo and I knew too many people taken from us on this date and it is still so fresh.  It stings bitterly.  We all have our own painful memories of this day.  I vividly remember Cosmo calling me on that gorgeous September morning.  The sky was impossibly blue and clear.  I was getting Kj ready for our first Mommy & Me gymnastics class.  And then him subsequently rushing home to be with me and KJ.  I mean, he tore through that front door.  Us contemplating whether we should get T out of school to calm her fears (we had just been to the city in August and have a beautiful photo of her in front of the towers from the Ferry as we were approaching the Statue of Liberty; we knew if she heard about the towers she would worry about her family in NY).  Frantic phone calls to my parents.  Calling my brother in PA to tell him I loved him.  Immediate thoughts about Cosmo's cousin Hope who worked in one of the Towers.  Hope had only recently come into our lives and the thought of losing her was devasting.  Then the sudden realization that B might have been on duty.  Was Guenther OK?  Never in a million years thinking that a boy, a man now, that I played with when I was a kid, was now among the missing.  His son was only two weeks old.  Rob's poor sister.  Not only lost her brother that day but her husband as well.  The fireman who lived down the street from me when I was a girl.  The receptionist at my dentists office lost her husband.  Our high school friend lost his older brother.  My brother lost a high school friend.  The family who owned the local pizza place lost a loving wife and mother. 

Robert McCarthy

I guess what I'm saying is that I don't need 9/11 retrospectives or tweets or FB posts to remind me.  I will never forget.  And I will make sure my children never forget either. 

No comments:

Total Pageviews

My Blog List

Some of My Favorite Quotes

"You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams." -- Dr. Seuss

"Nothing makes a woman more beautiful than the belief that she is beautiful." -- Sophia Loren



"There must be quite a few things a hot bath won't cure, but I don't know many of them." -- Sylvia Plath

“Life is too important to be taken seriously.” – Oscar Wilde

If people are truly, madly, deeply in love with each other, they will find a way.~Gilda Radner

“Never judge a day by its weather. Sunshine is uplifting; rain, nourishing; wind, exhilarating; snow, cleansing; hail, stimulating. Any weather is better than none.” -- Author Unknown

"Everything you see I owe to spaghetti." -- Sophia Loren

"I know I'm vulgar, but would you have me any other way?" -- Elizabeth Taylor

"After thirty, a body has a mind of its own." -- Bette Midler

"Cherish forever what makes you unique, 'cuz you're really a yawn if it goes." -- Bette Midler

“I know I can be diva-ish sometimes, but I have to be in control. The nature of my life, the nature of what I do, is divadom, it really is." -- Mariah Carey

"I want minimum information given with maximum politeness." -- Jackie Kennedy Onassis

"I've been called a diva, queen diva, diva supreme, and I love it. However, that's really for others to decide, not me." -- Aretha Franklin

"No one loves a party more than I. I am a people person." -- Aretha Franklin

"There are many little ways to enlarge your child's world. Love of books is the best of all." -- Jackie Kennedy Onassis
Blogging Resources for Women
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2011 • All Rights Reserved