Wednesday, May 9, 2018

Met Gala 2018

In case you've been living under a rock this week or your internet's been out for a few days, Monday was the annual Met Gala (formally known as the Costume Institute Gala).  Held the first Monday of each May, this year's theme was "Heavenly Bodies:  Fashion and the Catholic Imagination."  The exhibition runs until October 2018 and includes pieces donated from the Vatican. 
https://www.vogue.com/article/met-gala-2018-theme-heavenly-bodies-fashion-and-the-catholic-imagination

Like everyone else who was live tweeting that night, I love seeing the different interpretations of the exhibition (while the Metropolitan Museum of Art Costume Institute annual charity affair is not a "themed" event, many guests and designers choose to wear creations with a (sometimes not so) subtle nod to the show. 

While I may not necessarily like some of the outfits, I do appreciate the beauty of the workmanship and design.  Here are some of the thoughts I had while sitting on the couch in my sweats and being all judge-y: 

I thought Amanda Seyfriend looked like she stepped out of a Raphael or Bottecilli painting.  Her hair, make-up, gown and accessories were stunning! 


I mean, come on.  That close-up is pure perfection.  When she turned and looked at the cameras, she owned that moment. 

Cardi B.  She's a couple of months pregnant and looked radiant. 

I love Gigi Hadid and her gown was reminiscent of a church stained glass window.
 
J-Lo.  That leg! 

Kate Upton played it safe but from the shoulder's up she looked like a Renaissance princess.

Kim Kardashian.

While I respect and support the message, the presentation just seemed off to me. 

Lynda Carter (the original Wonder Woman).  Regal.  Elegant.

Madonna

Rosie Huntington-Whitley.  An angel. 

Rihanna. 

Scarlett Johanssen.  This was awful.  There.  I said it. 


Sarah Jessica Parker reminded me of the Queen of Hearts. 
 
Zendaya's take on Joan of Arc.  I like it. 
 
At first I did not care for this look (that hair bow was throwing me off) but the Vera Wang gown is basically, incredibly, the Sistine Chapel. 


I love the edgy boots and her make-up was flawless! 

Olivia Munn.  This outfit looks better in black and white.  The color really didn't suit her complexion. 
 
Love Ashley Graham.  I think this would be better for an awards show, the Oscars or the Grammy's perhaps.  A little too safe. 
 

No comments:

Total Pageviews

My Blog List

Some of My Favorite Quotes

"You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams." -- Dr. Seuss

"Nothing makes a woman more beautiful than the belief that she is beautiful." -- Sophia Loren



"There must be quite a few things a hot bath won't cure, but I don't know many of them." -- Sylvia Plath

“Life is too important to be taken seriously.” – Oscar Wilde

If people are truly, madly, deeply in love with each other, they will find a way.~Gilda Radner

“Never judge a day by its weather. Sunshine is uplifting; rain, nourishing; wind, exhilarating; snow, cleansing; hail, stimulating. Any weather is better than none.” -- Author Unknown

"Everything you see I owe to spaghetti." -- Sophia Loren

"I know I'm vulgar, but would you have me any other way?" -- Elizabeth Taylor

"After thirty, a body has a mind of its own." -- Bette Midler

"Cherish forever what makes you unique, 'cuz you're really a yawn if it goes." -- Bette Midler

“I know I can be diva-ish sometimes, but I have to be in control. The nature of my life, the nature of what I do, is divadom, it really is." -- Mariah Carey

"I want minimum information given with maximum politeness." -- Jackie Kennedy Onassis

"I've been called a diva, queen diva, diva supreme, and I love it. However, that's really for others to decide, not me." -- Aretha Franklin

"No one loves a party more than I. I am a people person." -- Aretha Franklin

"There are many little ways to enlarge your child's world. Love of books is the best of all." -- Jackie Kennedy Onassis
Blogging Resources for Women
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2011 • All Rights Reserved