Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Paula vs. Anthony

Let me start this entry off with a disclaimer. I do not like Anthony Bourdain. I do not like Paula Deen. And I have no favorites in this argument. However, the Libra in me can easily see both sides of this story.

VERSUS


Paula Deen recently disclosed that she suffers from Type-2 Diabetes and has suffered for some time now (insert snarky "What? Water is Wet?" joke here). However, she didn't announce her diabetes until AFTER she landed a paid endorsement with a diabetes medication company. That doesn't sit very well with me.

"Thinking of getting into the leg-breaking business, so I can profitably sell crutches later," Bourdain tweeted earlier this week. Last summer, he trashed her cooking and approach to the business, saying, "She revels in unholy connections with evil corporations, and she's proud of the fact that her food is f------ bad for you. ... Plus, her food sucks."

I understand Bourdain's point entirely (about the leg-breaking, not about if her food sucks or not). It's like a a big tobacco company who's made bazillions off addicted cigarette smokers switching gears and now making bazillions off smokers trying to quit using the patch.

I am not saying that Paula Deen has diabetes because of her own cooking. However, she's been hawking her cook books and recipes for years now and is quite proud of the fact that her recipes are rich in butter, fat and sugar. Will folks with diabetes see her as a "fellow traveler" -- or an enabler who helped America get fat and still insists her favorites are fine "in moderation?" True, we're all adults here and perfectally capable of making our own wise, healthy decisions. No one held a gun to anyone's head and forced them to make/eat her recipes and I do agree with her when she says, "Honey, I'm your cook, not your doctor."

2 comments:

Ducky said...

As an insulin dependent diabetic, I have strong opinions on this. Her cashing in now at the prompting of big money from a drug company is, to me, entirely separate of the fact that she diabetic.

Eating choices alone don't make you diabetic. Sitting on your lump, being inactive and eating horribly can make you an "At Risk" person assuming you don't already have a predisposition to it. Anyone who says her full fat and rich in butter recipes are the cause, I'd like to ask thier opinion about those who eat entirely fat free, synthetically produced meals that are nutrionally void. Surely ingesting all those chemicals increases the risk for cancer, no?

Seems like a bunch of haterade to me. But then again, I eat healthy, exercise regularly and still have to shoot myself 4 times a day....lol..what do I know?

Valerie said...

I totally agree with her when she said I'm a Cook, not a Doctor. I also see where Bourdain is coming from.

It's kind of like those celebrities who want us to believe they got their picture perfect bodies naturally but then sign a deal with a diet-pill company (i.e, Kardashian's, those 2 Playmates are now pushing diet pills -- Holly Madison and Kendra). Or when celebrities do a photo shoot and all we see is the airbrushed magazine cover. We didn't see the team of make-up artists, the team of hair stylists, the fake eyelashes, the spray tans, the lighing assistants, etc.

I wish Paula Deen had admitted earlier that she had diabetes; the timing in all of this just doesn't look good for her.

Total Pageviews

My Blog List

Some of My Favorite Quotes

"You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams." -- Dr. Seuss

"Nothing makes a woman more beautiful than the belief that she is beautiful." -- Sophia Loren



"There must be quite a few things a hot bath won't cure, but I don't know many of them." -- Sylvia Plath

“Life is too important to be taken seriously.” – Oscar Wilde

If people are truly, madly, deeply in love with each other, they will find a way.~Gilda Radner

“Never judge a day by its weather. Sunshine is uplifting; rain, nourishing; wind, exhilarating; snow, cleansing; hail, stimulating. Any weather is better than none.” -- Author Unknown

"Everything you see I owe to spaghetti." -- Sophia Loren

"I know I'm vulgar, but would you have me any other way?" -- Elizabeth Taylor

"After thirty, a body has a mind of its own." -- Bette Midler

"Cherish forever what makes you unique, 'cuz you're really a yawn if it goes." -- Bette Midler

“I know I can be diva-ish sometimes, but I have to be in control. The nature of my life, the nature of what I do, is divadom, it really is." -- Mariah Carey

"I want minimum information given with maximum politeness." -- Jackie Kennedy Onassis

"I've been called a diva, queen diva, diva supreme, and I love it. However, that's really for others to decide, not me." -- Aretha Franklin

"No one loves a party more than I. I am a people person." -- Aretha Franklin

"There are many little ways to enlarge your child's world. Love of books is the best of all." -- Jackie Kennedy Onassis
Blogging Resources for Women
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2011 • All Rights Reserved