Friday, November 2, 2007

Friday Night Lights

...is supposed to be a good show. I TiVo'd the season opener but we never got a chance to watch it and I was running out of space. I had a really difficult decision to make: Friday Night Lights or Rock of Love w/ Brett Michaels. Friday Night Lights or Rock of Love. Hmmmm.

Speaking of Friday Night Lights, it's high school football play-off time. Hoover is playing Theodore tonight. T is at the game, KJ and I have been watching it on the local cable channel (Chris is somewhere in the skies flying home from Dallas). It was 56-7 at the half. I think next week Hoover plays at Florence.

Got to talk to my brother earlier tonight, my nephew, my sister-in-law and my dad. Brandon was totally delightful tonight (come on, he's 4. He's pretty hit or miss on the phone). We had a wonderful phone conversation. He told me all about gymnastics, we talked Penn State football (according to Mr. B, they're the blue team), we discussed the merits of trick or treating and we debated the current crisis in the middle east. Ha! Just checking to see if you were still reading. He told me all about the footy pajamas he was wearing and he told me how he smashed his meat in his mashed potatoes at dinner and ate it all up so he could have TWO desserts.

I started reading a book my cousin Heather sent me called, "Pledged." Obviously, it's about Greek Life. As I read the prologue I wasn't sure if I was going to like it. I thought, this is just going to spout off a bunch of statistics and bash sororities and fraternities. While I do think many of the stories told in the book are not exclusive to Greek Life but are indicative of college life in general (i.e., the drunken frat parties, the meaningless sex / hook-ups, date rape, rampant drug use), the book does raise the question about the exclusivity of sororities and fraternities and addresses many stereotypes. Having never attended college let alone stepped foot in a sorority, I'm fascinated by this book. I'm more than halfway thru the book and as I'm reading, one question pops into my head repeatedly: "What will I do / say when one of my girls wants to join a sorority??" Keep in mind, I have an 8th grader. Pledging will be here before I know it. Crap.

Big football match-ups Saturday: Hoover 75 lbs. squad versus someone who's going to lose. Penn State vs. Perdue (sorry Steve-o. Godchild says you're going down!). Alabama versus LSU. I'll be watching Nemo on Ice w/ a bunch of Brownies.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi. Can I read the book when you're done? I have a feeling pledging will be here before we know it, and knowing my darling daughter, she'll want to pledge. i used to think i was so soroity, haha, i'm so not! no way. i do love the houses though, they're so pretty. anyway, i'm cracking up at the match up between hoover's 75lb and someone whose going to lose. lol. go bucs!

Valerie said...

Tracy, seriously! You have no idea how good this little 75 lbs. squad is. We just show up at the field, half the time I don't even know who we're playing because it doesn't really matter. How's Jack's football team doing? How was Elena's party last night? Nemo on Ice was OK, not my favorite. 2 years ago the troop saw Disney Princesses and that one was good. Last year was spectacular. It was just Disney on Ice and had a little of everything and the grand finale was It's a Small World.

Heather said...

Glad you're liking it! I'd like to say the stories are just at big schools where Greek life is so important, but the sororities were the same at my little undergrad.

Unknown said...

I totally believe you about the 75lb team. It is just so true of Hoover ball. Jack's team won their first play off game. whoosh! Next week is the championship. Go Panthers! Elena's party was fun, Joe had a great time. I didn't make it up to the skating rink, b/c I was painting pottery and then cleaning my floors. I'm sure the kids missed Kendall!

Total Pageviews

My Blog List

Some of My Favorite Quotes

"You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams." -- Dr. Seuss

"Nothing makes a woman more beautiful than the belief that she is beautiful." -- Sophia Loren



"There must be quite a few things a hot bath won't cure, but I don't know many of them." -- Sylvia Plath

“Life is too important to be taken seriously.” – Oscar Wilde

If people are truly, madly, deeply in love with each other, they will find a way.~Gilda Radner

“Never judge a day by its weather. Sunshine is uplifting; rain, nourishing; wind, exhilarating; snow, cleansing; hail, stimulating. Any weather is better than none.” -- Author Unknown

"Everything you see I owe to spaghetti." -- Sophia Loren

"I know I'm vulgar, but would you have me any other way?" -- Elizabeth Taylor

"After thirty, a body has a mind of its own." -- Bette Midler

"Cherish forever what makes you unique, 'cuz you're really a yawn if it goes." -- Bette Midler

“I know I can be diva-ish sometimes, but I have to be in control. The nature of my life, the nature of what I do, is divadom, it really is." -- Mariah Carey

"I want minimum information given with maximum politeness." -- Jackie Kennedy Onassis

"I've been called a diva, queen diva, diva supreme, and I love it. However, that's really for others to decide, not me." -- Aretha Franklin

"No one loves a party more than I. I am a people person." -- Aretha Franklin

"There are many little ways to enlarge your child's world. Love of books is the best of all." -- Jackie Kennedy Onassis
Blogging Resources for Women
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2011 • All Rights Reserved