Friday, May 9, 2008

Tucker Beam Day

Very emotional last couple of days.
Today was Tucker Beam day @ KJ's school. He's a 2nd grader bravely fighting his 2nd bout of cancer. The entire school participated in a HUGE walk-a-thon to help raise money for his medical bills. It was an absolutely unbelievably, beautiful day. The kids began the day in the gym and were able to communicate w/ Tucker via webcam (he's @ Childrens for treatment and was unable to make today's festivities). The children sang to him (KJ's class sang 'This Little Light of Mine' which makes me cry like a baby on a good day), waved to him and proudly showed off their "I walked for Tucker" t-shirts. Each class walked around the track behind a banner they had made w/ sayings such as "Tucker, You'll Never Walk Alone." Parents came out in full force, grandparents, the High School cheerleaders, the High School dance team, the middle school student council, the lunch ladies, the custodians and I even recognized children and parents that attended different elementary schools. The blood mobile was there for donations (I tried but found out I am severely anemic -- which would explain why I'm exhausted all the time and have no energy). I think the original goal was to raise $10,000. I keep hearing they raised around $27,000. The show of support for this little boy and his family was unbelievable and I was very proud to be a member of this community.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

tucker beam day was wonderful. i was unable to be there but i know the kids truly enjoyed being a part of it!

you better buy some iron pills! i bet you'll feel better. :)

Valerie said...

I do take iron fairly regularly (maybe 3 or 4 times a week) since I was pregnant w/ T so I was a little surprised it was that low.

Total Pageviews

My Blog List

Some of My Favorite Quotes

"You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams." -- Dr. Seuss

"Nothing makes a woman more beautiful than the belief that she is beautiful." -- Sophia Loren



"There must be quite a few things a hot bath won't cure, but I don't know many of them." -- Sylvia Plath

“Life is too important to be taken seriously.” – Oscar Wilde

If people are truly, madly, deeply in love with each other, they will find a way.~Gilda Radner

“Never judge a day by its weather. Sunshine is uplifting; rain, nourishing; wind, exhilarating; snow, cleansing; hail, stimulating. Any weather is better than none.” -- Author Unknown

"Everything you see I owe to spaghetti." -- Sophia Loren

"I know I'm vulgar, but would you have me any other way?" -- Elizabeth Taylor

"After thirty, a body has a mind of its own." -- Bette Midler

"Cherish forever what makes you unique, 'cuz you're really a yawn if it goes." -- Bette Midler

“I know I can be diva-ish sometimes, but I have to be in control. The nature of my life, the nature of what I do, is divadom, it really is." -- Mariah Carey

"I want minimum information given with maximum politeness." -- Jackie Kennedy Onassis

"I've been called a diva, queen diva, diva supreme, and I love it. However, that's really for others to decide, not me." -- Aretha Franklin

"No one loves a party more than I. I am a people person." -- Aretha Franklin

"There are many little ways to enlarge your child's world. Love of books is the best of all." -- Jackie Kennedy Onassis
Blogging Resources for Women
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2011 • All Rights Reserved